A Checklist For Barn Maintenance
Owning a horse can be time-consuming and expensive, but for those who love horses, all of the work and money put into these animals are well worth it. Besides the pure enjoyment of owning a horse, they are still used today as work animals, and some ride horses to compete in sports such as rodeo and equestrian events. No matter what horses are used for, it is important that they are well cared for, which includes having ample shelter. While most horses do well outdoors, it is still important for them to have a place to go in cold or inclement weather, and depending on the horse and its needs, others stay indoors more often than being outside. These are all reasons it is important to practice proper barn maintenance. This checklist will serve as a guide to include all facets of horse barn maintenance, including keeping pests out of the barn, weekly and seasonal maintenance, the health and safety of a horse while staying indoors, barn organization tips, and making barn repairs.
Keeping Unwanted Pests Out
- Integrated Management of Flies in and Around Dairy and Livestock and Livestock Barns: While this article talks about dairy and livestock barns, the tips and tricks are great for keeping flies out of a horse barn as well.
- Rodent-proof Construction and Exclusion Methods: This is a great resource for learning about rodents such as rats and mice and how to best keep them from getting inside.
- Non-chemical Rodent Control: This article also deals with managing rodents such as mice and rats and discusses non-chemical ways for controlling them.
- Barn Basics: The Benefits of Barn Cats: A great article that talks about using cats for good stable management as a way to keep mice under control.
- Fly Control Measures: This article offers extensive information on different kinds of flies and how to best keep them at bay.
- Fly Control Around Barns and Stables: Another article that gives good information on controlling flies.
Weekly and Seasonal Barn Maintenance
- Cold Weather Barn Management Tips: This article gives practical information on horse barn maintenance for the winter.
- Winter Maintenance Tips for Barns: These tips can help people maintain an old barn through the winter.
- How to Avoid Frozen Pipes in the Barn: These great ideas are especially for horse owners living in colder climates.
- Winterize Your Barn: A good resource for those looking for the best ways to winterize the horse barn, especially for those living in colder climates.
- Equine Winter Care: A guide that offers practical advice on caring for horses in colder weather.
Barn Maintenance for Health and Safety
- Natural Ventilation for Freestall Barns: This article discusses how to maintain good air quality in barns and stables.
- Disaster Preparedness: Barn Fires - Keep Your Horses Safe From the Leading Equine Disaster: Barn fires can be disastrous, and this article offers tips for indoor fire prevention.
- Safety Recommendations for the Stable, Barnyard, and Horse/Livestock Structures: These are great ideas for ensuring the safety of barns and other structures on the farm.
- Barn Ventilation: Another article focuses on the importance of quality air ventilation
- Horsekeeping & Water Quality - Manure Management for Healthy Horses: This article from Energy and Environment Affairs discusses proper manure management for keeping horses healthy.
- Equine Emergency First Aid: This little article gives tips on what supplies should be kept in the barn in case of a medical emergency.
Barn Organization Tips
- Horse Ownership, Obligation, Costs and Benefits - Physical Facilities: This article gives advice on adequate sizes of physical facilities for keeping a horse.
- 10 Quick Ideas to Help Get Your Barn Organized: These are great ideas for keeping the barn organized.
- Farm Buildings: Barns and outbuildings are an important part of any working farm.
- Cleanup Tips for Your Cluttered Barn: This page gives organization tips and things to keep in mind when it comes to keeping the barn tidy.
Repairing and Fixing the Barn
- Surveying Your Old Barn: This is a great checklist for determining the soundness of the barn as a way to prevent expensive repairs.
- Building a Low-Maintenance Barn: A great article discusses fixing up an existing horse barn or building a new, low-maintenance barn.
- Horse Barns: It is important to take care of your horse barn, be it custom or prebuilt.
- Taking Care of your Old Barn - Keep a Good Roof on It: How to repair and maintain the roof of a barn in order to keep it watertight is covered here.
- Restoring Your Barn: This article looks at the process of fixing up an old barn.