There's plenty of summertime left, which means lots of opportunities to get creative with your cookout menu! Today, I have some recipes for side dishes that are healthy and delicious. Enjoy!
- Sugar Snap Pea Slaw. No cookout is complete without a spoonful of slaw on your plate. Sugar snap pea slaw is a tasty side dish that takes just 30 minutes to prepare. How can you beat that? This recipe has the traditional ingredient of cabbage as well as apples, carrots, and snap peas, giving you plenty of crunch. Drizzle on some vinaigrette made with honey and Dijon mustard and tell your guests to dig in!
- Fennel and Zucchini Salad With Watercress, Mint, and Feta Cheese. Here is a recipe you can make with ingredients gathered from your own garden. Combine peas, zucchini, a fennel bulb, watercress, and mint to create a refreshing side. Don't forget to sprinkle in some feta cheese for extra zip!
- Spicy Grilled Broccoli. Grab some broccoli from your garden and marinate it with a mixture of red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, onion powder, and other spices. Grill the broccoli until it's tender and you have a healthy, spicy side!
- Cucumber Honeydew Salad With Feta. Visit your garden to get the cucumbers, honeydew melon, onions, and dill you need to prepare a colorful bowl of cucumber honeydew salad with feta. Take ten minutes to prepare this recipe and spend the rest of the time with your guests.
- Fresh Mango Salsa. If you have some vegans coming to your cookout, they're sure to flock to this salsa dish. Mangoes, red pepper, onion, cilantro, and lemon juice combined make a delicious side in just 15 minutes. Set out some pita or tortilla chips for your guests to dip with.
- Charred Bean Salad. Long beans are the star of this bean salad recipe. Along with the beans, there's a sweet onion, garlic cloves, mint leaves, and some spices that are sure to make this side dish a fast favorite at a cookout!
- Corn and Scallion Salad. This salad recipe can be made in ten minutes with just four ingredients: white wine vinegar, scallions, tarragon, and, of course, corn. No cookout is complete without corn as a side dish. Everyone knows that, right?
- Grilled Watermelon Salad. Can you really grill watermelon? Oh yes, you can! Along with watermelon, this recipe includes baby arugula, goat cheese, balsamic vinegar, and a few other ingredients. It's prepared in just 30 minutes. Make sure your guests take the time to admire the grill marks on their watermelon slices while they're enjoying the feast in your gazebo!
- Pinto, Black, and Red Bean Salad With Grilled Corn and Avocado. If you like a side dish with lots of beans, this is sure to become a favorite. Combine this variety of beans along with onion, corn, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and olive oil and you have an extremely nutritious salad that's sure to disappear from its bowl in no time.
- Grilled Apricot, Eggplant, and Tomato Salad. Start with a Japanese eggplant, mix in some heirloom tomatoes, apricots, scallions, mint, parsley, and chives, and you have an out-of-the-ordinary side dish for all the veggie-lovers at your cookout.
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes. This is a gluten-free dish filled with vitamin C and potassium. But most importantly, it tastes darn good. Sweet potatoes, salt, and olive oil combined with some time on the grill gives you a sweet side dish.
- Grape Salad. If you're a fan of grapes, then you'll love this simple grape salad. The ingredient list includes red and green grapes, cream cheese, sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt), salt, brown sugar, and the secret ingredient, toasted pecans!
- Peach Caprese Salad. Grab some of those delicious peaches from the grocery store and make good use of them in this side dish. This dish takes 15 minutes to make and includes ingredients such as corn, tomatoes, onion, mozzarella, salt, arugula, and basil. This dish looks so beautiful your guests will be hesitant to mess up the perfect picture!
- Cranberry Zucchini Slaw. Here's another alternative to traditional coleslaw. Simply combine spiralized or chopped zucchini with dried cranberries and sunflower seeds. If you have ten minutes, you can make this refreshing dish.
- Strawberry Asparagus Salad. This easy salad recipe includes tons of healthy ingredients, such as spinach, romaine lettuce, asparagus, toasted almonds, and strawberries. It takes ten minutes to prepare, and you'll have a summery side dish for your cookout.
Enjoy your cookouts, and thanks for reading. - Alan