The Complete Garage Sale Checklist
Not only is getting rid of unwanted junk a perfect way to clean out your home, but it also clears your mind. De-cluttering the home is a great way to instantly feel calmer and more organized. Having an organized home can also increase productivity, because it is much more practical to only keep items that are used frequently. Although the thought of sorting through your belongings might be daunting, it is important to periodically get rid of unwanted items by donating or selling them. Garage sales are a great way to clear your home of unused junk while simultaneously making a little extra money. Garage sales are also wonderful because they help those in need-by listing unwanted household items at low prices, you are helping families who may not be able to otherwise afford them. Keep reading to find out more about how to plan, organize, and throw a successful yard sale.
How to Organize and Purge Your House of Unwanted Belongings
- 18 Things You Can Get Rid Of Today – A list of ideas to help gather unused and unwanted items for a sale.
- Clutter-Busting Secrets of the Pros – Seven tips for getting rid of household items.
- How To Get Rid of Practically Anything – Consider donating certain items to those in need. This article from Consumer Reports lists a number of organizations that take old stuffed animals, clothing, and electronics.
- How to Get Rid of Clutter – Several useful ideas for determining the right items to keep, sell, and donate.
- De-Junk Your Life – An article about the psychological benefits of de-cluttering. The end of the article contains a number of organizing tips.
- 8 Weeks to a Less Cluttered Home (PDF) – Have a de-cluttered home in 8 weeks by spending thirty minutes a day on a specific room of the house.
- 3 Steps to an Organized Garage Sale – Tips for organizing your garage sale items.
How to Prepare for Your Garage Sale
- Create a Free Yard Sale Sign – Enter your information and create a free printable yard sale sign.
- Organizing a Yard or Garage Sale – Steps to make setting up and organizing a yard sale a snap.
- Your Best Yard Sale Ever – 14 tips for setting up a successful yard sale.
- Easy Organizing: Yard Sales – Includes tips for deciding on a location and displaying your items.
- How to Plan a Garage Sale – Includes product links to various helpful labels and signs.
- Top Tips for Hosting a Profitable Garage Sale – Several good ideas for throwing a successful sale, with links to a few useful articles and checklists.
- Planning a Garage Sale – This list of unique tips includes the idea of playing music to create an ambiance and setting up a play area for kids.
- Checklist for a Successful Garage Sale – A checklist with sections dedicated to planning, sorting, and advertising.
Garage Sale and Flea Market Location Guides
- Tag Sell It: Flea Markets This Week – A database of weekly flea markets organized by state.
- Find A Garage Sale – Find a local garage sale by state, date, and category.
- Garage Sale Cow - Search by zip code to find garage sales in your area.
- Garage Sales, Yard Sales, & Estate Sales By Map – A comprehensive database of garage sales organized by city and state.
- iGarageSale app for the iPhone – An app that locates nearby garage sales.
- Find a Junk Market Near You – Browse by state to find a flea market in your area.
- Flea Market & Swap Meet Map – This site features an interactive map and helpful flea market/antique mall reviews.
- Garage Sales Tracker: Search for Garage Sales – Search for a garage sale in your area or browse all of the listings.
Garage Sale Tips & Resources
- Garage Sale Tips for Buying and Selling – Great tips for buyers and sellers. Includes information about the best way to display items.
- Make the Most of Yard Sale Season – Several tips for buying at a yard sale. Many of these could be useful to sellers, such as the information about getting the most out of bargaining.
- Pricing Garage Sale Items – A guide for deciding prices for a garage sale.
- Having a Successful Yard Sale – A comprehensive list of tips for throwing a successful sale.
- Garage Sale Ads That Attract Buyers – How to advertise in a way that will draw in customers.
- A Fun Printable Garage Sale Sign – A free, unique printable sign that is sure to catch the attention of shoppers.
Garage Sale Pricing Guides
- How to Purge & Price Items – A great guide that discusses not only how to get rid of unwanted items but how to properly price them as well.
- Pricing Guide For Garage Sales – A list of recommended prices for a variety of garage sale items.
- Ensure Your Items Sell – A pricing guide that will help ensure that you make money by selling your unwanted items.